got schooled....

STEROIDCHICKEN, Mossyoakpro, midtnhunter, Denny
STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

got schooled....

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:36 pm

what a weekend.....needless to say, i came up empty. i got on some hard-hammering birds saturday morning and i unknowingly called in 5 birds for adjacent property members. i met with them after the hunt and they assured me that i got the birds for them. i never had a clue they were hunting so close to our line. good thing i didn't get in closer...could have been a unsafe situation. they never made the first call.
got on another bird late morning....struck him walking and didn't take the time or have the time to get set up in a good place. he came in strutting and all i could see was the top of his fan. i cutt and tried to get him to raise his head, it never happened.
sunday was horrible, didn't hear the first bird gobble.
monday was good or should i say better....got on 3 birds hammering and thought they were alone....as soon as fly down came, i heard the hens and they were roosted between me and the birds. we know what happened shortly after....they took them away fast.
got on another bird late morning....he came in but hung up 60 yards out. i could not take that shot...too far.
he meandered away and i struck another bird latter, he didn't want to play. i think he had hens and was just giving me a courtesy gobble.
heading down to south georgia thursday....gonna see how those birds are acting.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Re: got schooled....

Post by Grant » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:47 pm

Same here.

Saturday - Heard a few. Saw zero until I was walking back to my truck and they were strut'n it up near my truck.

Sunday - Nice setup. Had two or three birds barking and closing the distance, but I couldn't get their direction. Sounded in front of me one moment and then off to my right the next... Caught the action on film. THEN had other hunters stumbling in the woods behind me trying to make their way to the birds I was working. Then the woods went silent. I blasted my crow call at the guys - as to say don't choot! Then I moved off.

Monday - Hunted with my brother which was cool. I moved my setup too early. Moments after arriving to my new setup, I see the strutter entering the filed where I was setup. He then proceeded to the REAL hens in the field. I tried to make a move on them and they vanished. In the evening, I setup to see when birds were roosting..

Today - Setup early in a bottom. Birds barking. Worked one for about an hour. Got impatient, gambled and changed my setup. On the new setup I was able to video some jakes and one tom that wanted nothing to do with a lady.

Tonight - I had a blast! I setup in a roosting area that looked over a clearcut. I watched strutters chase hens around in the field. Around 7pm, I got in a shouting match with hens all round me moving in to roost. The stutters entered the woods about 100 yards away.

So, this week was HEN-tastic. We're overflowing with hens.
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

Denny

Re: got schooled....

Post by Denny » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 am

Sounds like you have a good number of birds. Just a matter of time until Old Tom slips up!
Stay on them!
DJ

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

got schooled....

Post by Grant » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:39 am

Not a bad morning this a.m., but horrible setup on my part. Lesson learned.
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

Return to “4 - Turkey Assassin's”