No, but would like to soon!
22%

Total votes: 18

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Fall Hunting Tips

Post by Grant » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 am

So fall turkey hunting is around the corner. How many of you hunt turkey in the fall?

What are 5 tips that you would share wither the NETWORK?
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

Northerner
I mostly hunt turkey in: Ontario, Canada
While hunting I carry: Browning Silver w/Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke.

Re: Fall Hunting Tips

Post by Northerner » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:49 am

Alright I guess I will start with what I have learned.
1) Don't settle for the first bird
2) If you have an opportunity to do some pre-season scouting...do it!
3) Don't believe everything you read...they do sometimes come to your calls also.
4) Don't forget your binos for a run & gun, and some deer scouting!
5) Mornings can be chily so dress for success!

Quick story for everyone, last fall I managed to jam a stick in my eye from riding my fourwheeler while on a moose hunt. however I was eager to get back into the woods for my fall turkey.

Forgot my bino's and my vision was already limited to one eye do to the mishap (scratched retina), had a small group of birds around 100 yards out. saw something kind of white in the sun's reflection. Thought it could be just their wings. They eventually made their way back in the forest and I had 7 males come out directly in front of me about 45 minutes later...

Oh and the 'flash of white' I seen... :roll: :roll: :oops:

Soooo all winter long I am dreaming of these birds (there were 6 in total, 2 toms) hoping to get a crack at them in the spring...they were gone.

kygobbler
I mostly hunt turkey in: KY
While hunting I carry: Winchester SX3
Willowridge tongue teaser

Post by kygobbler » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:20 am

I absolutely love fall hunting compared to spring if not a little more. My top 5 most important tips for fall hunting will be.

1. Do as much scouting as you can right before the season.
2. Try to learn to use as many calls as possible and be able to use 2 at the same time.
3. You have to have more patience in the fall than you do in the spring.
4. Practice your kee kee calls
5. Binos

The reason why for #2 is because I have had pretty good success in calling either a group hens or a single hen by sounding like a small flock looking for some company. If you have never tried fall hunting you might want to give it a try. To me, there is nothing better than hearing 20-30 turkeys all talking at the same time.
Bryan

BgDadyBeardBustr
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Remington 11-87 Super Mag 12 Gauge, PSE Dream Season EVO and my Daughter with her Remington 11-87 20 Gauge. I use a Super Elite III Turkey vest. I also use a Thermo-Cell. A must have for the taking of Bonus Birds!

Post by BgDadyBeardBustr » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:28 pm

I use fall as a practice for the spring with my calls. If you can talk turkey in the fall, you will be very successful in the Spring! I love calling them back together after busting up a flock with my Nephews. Might have to get a 410 for them. They are learning quickly how to be quiet enough in the fall for one or two to come back to us! Plus, practice makes perfect year round turkey hunting more fun. Kind of like speaking the language! :mrgreen: So in the Spring, it is all Hollywood! :D
Pass on as much information as you can to the next generation so our support for Turkey Hunting and Conservation will live on for our future Generations!

Team Hollywood Pro Staff

turkeydoghunter
I mostly hunt turkey in: NY
While hunting I carry: a gun and call

Post by turkeydoghunter » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:42 pm

Scouting locating food sources is so crucial to finding flocks .....get a good scatter with a good dog or by bull rushing them your self ......when a bird starts calling to you mimic them ......be ready for a long sit so a good seat cushion is a must .....if you break the the birds before roost time be back before light and as the sun comes up start tree calling to locate them, many times I have killed gobblers that never made a peep when I broke them late afternoon, but in the morning were gobbling their heads off ! good time to take a kid out hunting .......Image

WillowRidge
I mostly hunt turkey in: Wisconsin
While hunting I carry: More than I could ever use in a weeks hunt

Post by WillowRidge » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:51 pm

1. Scouting, a must do for finding your flocks and their routines.
2. Call like the bird you want to take. Birds group together by sexes in the fall.
3. Patients Patients Patients.
4. Don't worry about over calling, flocks make a racket when they are regrouping or just moving through a wood lot.
5. Be where the birds want to be, you can call them, but they don't move very far out of their way, like they do in the spring.

Most importantly, Have Fun. It's a great time to introduce new hunters to the sport, or get together with your buddies.
WillowRidgeCalls
Scott

BPowell
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA, KY, and AL
While hunting I carry: Woodhaven and Tom Teasers glass/slate and diaphragm calls, decoys, extra Hevi-13 #6 shells, and the Benelli Vinci!

Post by BPowell » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:03 pm

What kind of decoys are best to use in the fall? Tom? Hen? Both? I'm thinking about giving it a try this year. I will be field hunting.

kygobbler
I mostly hunt turkey in: KY
While hunting I carry: Winchester SX3
Willowridge tongue teaser

Post by kygobbler » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:34 am

BP1992 wrote:What kind of decoys are best to use in the fall? Tom? Hen? Both? I'm thinking about giving it a try this year. I will be field hunting.
I have never used decoys in the fall, but if I was going to use them I would first try to see what flocks are in the area I am hunting. I would use what ever decoy there is in the area.

If you set up a gobbler decoy, more than likely a hen and poult family will keep their distance from him. If a gobbler flock comes out in the field then it should be game on if you challenge them.
Bryan

BPowell
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA, KY, and AL
While hunting I carry: Woodhaven and Tom Teasers glass/slate and diaphragm calls, decoys, extra Hevi-13 #6 shells, and the Benelli Vinci!

Post by BPowell » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:09 pm

Thanks, I'll be giving it a try in a couple of weeks.

RockyMtnGobblers
I mostly hunt turkey in: Colorado
While hunting I carry: Rem. 870 12 guage, mouth calls, friction calls,357mag.

Post by RockyMtnGobblers » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:19 am

I have only hunted fall birds last year and just saw a flock of hens, do you think the gobbler flock will be in the same area generally?
Thanks for all the great info, I find it very helpful.
Be an Ethical hunter, Earn your bird!

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting”