Fall turkey hunting in the south

ylpnfol
I mostly hunt turkey in: central virginia
While hunting I carry: too many things, that keep me from locating the one thing that i need at any given time.....and a turkey call

Re: Fall turkey hunting in the south

Post by ylpnfol » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:19 pm

A few years back, va took the turkey season out of the first 3 weeks and the last week of the deer gun season, in order to keep deer hunters from just blasting away at them on deer stands..... I believe this measure has stabilized the population.....
You never know, unless you go

David

turkeydoghunter
I mostly hunt turkey in: NY
While hunting I carry: a gun and call

Post by turkeydoghunter » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:59 am

Most States in the South have separate seasons so the deer hunters are not in the woods during turkey season , the ones that dont have a shot gun only or bow turkey season , most Deer hunter I know use a rifle so that would help too !

Ricochet
I mostly hunt turkey in: South Carolina
While hunting I carry: My Remington Versa Max or 870, calls (stuff), ThermaCell and my gobbler lounger for those long setups.

Post by Ricochet » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 am

ccleroy wrote:Thank goodness we do not have a fall season here in SC.
I tend to agree, but it would nice to be able to try it here and in GA...for just a week or 2. It could easily be done in GA during bow season there, but it would be harder to do here in SC since we have no bow season in my zone (actually, I think that is statewide). I wish we had a bow season, so I could get a crack at the deer before they start running dogs.

So, I think it is 1. a traditional deer hunting thing 2. a turkey biologist thing and 3. trigger happy rednecks that keep us from having a fall season down here. That being said, I think a fair amount of turkeys are blasted (with rifles) illegally during deer season as it stands now.
- JP
Is it turkey season yet? I love the sound of gobbling in the morning...

turkeydoghunter
I mostly hunt turkey in: NY
While hunting I carry: a gun and call

Post by turkeydoghunter » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:56 am

Well said JP

ylpnfol
While hunting I carry: too many things, that keep me from locating the one thing that i need at any given time.....and a turkey call

Post by ylpnfol » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:34 pm

turkeydoghunter wrote:Well said JP

ditto, it is very strange [imo] that s.c. doesn't have an early bow season.....i thought that was pretty much a given these days.... :roll:

David

Ricochet
While hunting I carry: My Remington Versa Max or 870, calls (stuff), ThermaCell and my gobbler lounger for those long setups.

Post by Ricochet » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:02 pm

ylpnfol wrote:

ditto, it is very strange [imo] that s.c. doesn't have an early bow season.....i thought that was pretty much a given these days.... :roll:
Yep, go figure! :roll:
- JP

Jamey
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Mossy Super Bantam 20 ga.

Post by Jamey » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:53 pm

Ricochet wrote:
ylpnfol wrote:

Yep, go figure! :roll:
Since your rifle deer season opens August 15 it would have to be the middle of the summer to have an additional bow season down there in the low-country. Actually I think the rest of the state has a bow season or at least we did in the up-state when I lived there several years ago.

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:28 pm

Jamey wrote:Since your rifle deer season opens August 15 it would have to be the middle of the summer to have an additional bow season down there in the low-country. Actually I think the rest of the state has a bow season or at least we did in the up-state when I lived there several years ago.
Yeah, they start too early with rifle in my zone (zone 6) and zone 5 & 6 are the zones without a bow only season. :(
- JP

ylpnfol

Post by ylpnfol » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:06 pm

Wow, mid August opener is something, not sure I could get into deer hunting that early ( HOT ) , but a velvet buck would be kinda cool, real cool if he's a biggun, :D , our early bow season starts first of oct. for deer and turkey....

David

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 pm

ylpnfol wrote:Wow, mid August opener is something, not sure I could get into deer hunting that early ( HOT ) , but a velvet buck would be kinda cool, real cool if he's a biggun, :D , our early bow season starts first of oct. for deer and turkey....
Yeah, I don't hunt that early - its mega hot and the mosquitos are nuts down here!
- JP

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting”