Need education on how 2 fall hunt

artjr338wm
I mostly hunt turkey in: Indiana
While hunting I carry: 1 slate call, 2 glass calls, 4 strikers, one paddle call, 1 push button call, and 1 owl hooter, compass, map, extra shells, food, water and flash light.

Need education on how 2 fall hunt

Post by artjr338wm » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:02 pm

Although I have been spring turkey hunting for over 25 years now, I have never hunted turkeys in the fall and know next to nothing about how one go's about doing so. I am finally giving fall turkey a try as I failed to get my youngest son a bird in the spring.

I took my two boys ages 9 and 11 on their very first hunts this year and picked turkey as I felt turkey hunting was my best shot at a good chance of having them experience a truely exciting hunt and hopefully get them hooked for life and there by add two more hunters to increase our ranks. As it worked out my oldest got to hunt first and he had a hunt that was 99.99% better than all the hunts I've been on or a part of in all of my 25 years of hunting, and yes he did kill a fine Tom that weighed 23.75lbs, had about 1.25" spurs and a 9" beard.

Unfortunately my second son was not near as fortunate. My job allows for precious little time off and I was only able to take my youngest hunting two times. Although we got into and saw quite a few Toms, things simply did not come together for him. I was still extremely proud of him because we hunted as hard as one can both days doing the old sneak and peek, and then once we spotted a Tom put the staulk on him. Never once did my 9 year old complain of loose interest and get sloppy. This made me feel all the more crummy when I failed to get him to with in gun range of the Toms we spotted both days of hunting.

In my home state you can shoot any turkey, but I really want to get him a Tom or Jake because his older brother killed such a nice Tom.

So now I will try to get him his first Tom this fall. Although I have zero fall turkey hunting experience, I have been reserching it to death on the net. So I would like to start my request for help with a list of questions I have come up with then if there are any other important facts I have not requested info on, please by all means those reading this I would greatly appreciate you listing them here. Will be hunting 100% public land Toms, but good public land with quality birds and good terrain with lots of open fields from small to huge in size.

1-SCOUTTING: I know that I have you find a Tom to kill it, so preseason scouting is of major importance. I know the area I plan on hunting well, so I mostly only need to know how close to season do I start to scout. My season runs from October 20-26. I plan on getting into my hunting area before dawn and at last light to see if they are using the same roosts as used in spring, and if not which ones they are using.

2-CALLING:I also know I must sound like a Tom turkey to call one in to gun range in the fall, and the call I'm best with and have used to call 90%+ of my Toms to their doom is a glass slate call. So whats the best call for sounding like a tom to call in a tom. What type of striker is best suited to mimicking the deeper more raspier sounds a Tom makes?
2B-What type of Tom calls work best to call them in and what caidance works well and as well as number of calls made per session. I am familure with the keke-run and the plane keke, but when do you use each?
Will using a gobble call that sounds like a jake, do any good as a locator call, I mean can i get Toms or Jakes to shock gobble in the fall.
2C-If I spot 1 or more Toms and or Jakes out in a feild what calls usually work best to call them into gun range?

3-Do decoys work at all in the fall? as I am hunting public ground I will not be using any Jake of Tom decoys.

4-What if any tactics, stratigies, or calls that work well in spring are worth using in the fall?

So basiclly I need to know when to start preseason scouting, what calls work best on Toms and Jakes, when to make them, what type of call(s) are best at making them, and any must know fall turkey hunting info and tactics I have not asked about.

I know I am asking for allot of info, but Indiana's fall season is only 7 days long and I will at best have only three days where I can take my son hunting and i will have to call, off work if I'm not successfull on my two days off, so I need all the help I can get cutting down the learing curve to size.

Thanks,
Arthur.

kygobbler
I mostly hunt turkey in: KY
While hunting I carry: Winchester SX3
Willowridge tongue teaser

Re: Need education on how 2 fall hunt

Post by kygobbler » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Arthur and congrats to your son getting a gobbler this spring.

Now fall hunting is different than spring hunting. If you seen birds in your hunting area in the spring there might be a chance they won't be there in the fall. So if I was hunting an area that I didn't know for sure where they are then I would go out at least a couple of weeks before the season and figure out where they are and what routes they are using.

As far as calls I usually use a glass call and a rosewood striker. When a gobbler yelps its a lot slower than a hen. Its more like yeeeelp yeeeeelp pause yeeeelp yeeeelp.

One tactic that is favorable to use in the fall is to bust them up and call them back. The only problem doing that on gobblers is sometimes they are like OK I'm by myself. They are not in a hurry to gather back together. Just be patient and what ever noise he is making you mimic it right back to him. Now if you bust a gobbler flock do some kees kees when they are in the air. You might luck up and they come right back to you.

If I see a group of gobblers in a field I will try and do some kees kees first with some gobbler yelps. If that doesn't work I will try to get aggressive with them and want them to come over and put me in my place.

I have never used decoys in the fall, mainly because when I think of decoys I think spring time but it should work in the fall also.

The main thing in the fall if you hear that gobbler open his mouth you make every call that he is making. Mimic everything he does and more than likely he will come to you.

Good luck
Bryan

artjr338wm
I mostly hunt turkey in: Indiana
While hunting I carry: 1 slate call, 2 glass calls, 4 strikers, one paddle call, 1 push button call, and 1 owl hooter, compass, map, extra shells, food, water and flash light.

Post by artjr338wm » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:15 am

Thank you Bryan for answering not most but all of my question. Every bit I can learn aahead of time will without doubt help up my chances for getting my son his first Tom.
I will be able to spend more time scouting, likely allot more than I will hunting so I will make sure to have enough Toms or Jake's located both where they roost as well as what fields they frequent.
Thanks again Bryan,
Arthur

WillowRidge
I mostly hunt turkey in: Wisconsin
While hunting I carry: More than I could ever use in a weeks hunt

Post by WillowRidge » Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:34 pm

I do a lot of fall hunting, all on public land. Fall scouting needs to start as soon as the birds are a couple months old. Start watching where they are feeding, open fields, picked crop fields, wood lots ect. Birds in the fall aren't like they are in the spring, were you can call a bird in from a 1/4 miles away, they will only travel short distances, maybe 200 yds if your lucky. You need to be in their area, what I mean is you'll have a hard time calling a bird across a 100 yard hay field. That's why your scouting is very important, you need to know where and what side of a field they are using, because they won't come to a call like they do in the spring. You need to know where they come in and leave that field. You call to the birds you want to kill, meaning if your after gobblers, then use gobbler talk, kee kee runs, keeyelps, gobbles, raspy yelps, deep clucks, whistles, fighting purrs. Hen talk is useless if your trying to kill a gobbler in the fall, unless it's late in the season when birds are starting to group up for the winter. You won't find gobblers mixed in with hens, only in feeding spots, and even then they stay in separate groups. If your after just a bird then send out a mix of calls, you want to sound like a group of birds. Call and call often, groups are noisy and they talk every so often. If your busting birds, try to bust them off the roost in the mornings, that's your best chance to call them back together, trying to get a good bust once they are on the ground is difficult, unless you can bust them with a dog. In the fall forget about what you know about calling birds in the spring, it's useless. In the fall only the dominance factor matters, spring time calling tactics will work on single hens or poults, but not on gobblers or jakes. Patience is a must in fall hunting, in the spring it may take you an hour to call a bird in, in the fall it may take you 3 hours to work him in, if and only if he wants to come. In the fall you'll hear just about every call a turkey makes, so you can learn a lot of turkey talk in the fall that you can use in the spring, calls you've never heard birds make before.
Good luck with your first time fall hunting, don't get discouraged if the bird your calling to don't even look your way, that's fall hunting, they only do what they want to do.
WillowRidgeCalls
Scott

timbrhuntr
I mostly hunt turkey in: Anywhere I can !
While hunting I carry: Everything I can !

Post by timbrhuntr » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:17 pm

All good info here but I would add don't be afraid to hen call in the roost area if you know where it is. When I first started to fall hunt I had no idea where to start like you. I set up in a known roost area in the middle of October and started to call like I do in the spring. Just after first light 2 toms came strutting down the ridge right to me. Since then I have had this happen 2 other times so you never know with these birds. I let them walk because I don't normally shoot toms in the spring just hens because there are so many and also for decoys and wing bone calls :D .

ylpnfol
I mostly hunt turkey in: central virginia
While hunting I carry: too many things, that keep me from locating the one thing that i need at any given time.....and a turkey call

Post by ylpnfol » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:42 am

timbrhuntr wrote:All good info here but I would add don't be afraid to hen call in the roost area if you know where it is. When I first started to fall hunt I had no idea where to start like you. I set up in a known roost area in the middle of October and started to call like I do in the spring. Just after first light 2 toms came strutting down the ridge right to me. Since then I have had this happen 2 other times so you never know with these birds. I let them walk because I don't normally shoot toms in the spring just hens because there are so many and also for decoys and wing bone calls :D .

:o :shock: you might want to edit the part about shooting only hens in the spring, 'fore the man comes a knockin..... :mrgreen:
You never know, unless you go

David

timbrhuntr
I mostly hunt turkey in: Anywhere I can !
While hunting I carry: Everything I can !

Post by timbrhuntr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 am

Whoops! Ya meant to say I usually pass on the toms in the fall to hunt them in the spring :roll:

Return to “Fall Turkey Hunting”