Kenny Morgan style Friction Wood Callers

WillowRidge
I mostly hunt turkey in: Wisconsin
While hunting I carry: More than I could ever use in a weeks hunt

Kenny Morgan style Friction Wood Callers

Post by WillowRidge » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:31 am

These two callers are my first attempts at making a Morgan style calls. There has been a lot of interests with the Morgan style calls lately among turkey hunters. With help from Gary Meinke (treerooser) I've been able to come up with a couple designs. The first is a Osage/Mahogany (hewn box), and the second is a Maple (glued box) call. Gary sent me a detailed drawing and photos of his original Kenny Morgan calls. Thanks Gary.
Thanks for lookin, Scott
Attachments
P2140363.jpg
P2110358.jpg
P2110358.jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 2786 times
WillowRidgeCalls
Scott

ylpnfol
I mostly hunt turkey in: central virginia
While hunting I carry: too many things, that keep me from locating the one thing that i need at any given time.....and a turkey call

Re: Kenny Morgan style Friction Wood Callers

Post by ylpnfol » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:33 pm

How do you run them, looks like chalk on the side of bottom pic, is that where you play it?? :roll:
You never know, unless you go

David

Treerooster
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Central USA
While hunting I carry: As much knowledge about the bird as I can fit in my thick skull.

Post by Treerooster » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:39 pm

I have a couple of Frictionwoods from Kenny Morgan. They are played much like a pot call. The striker is played right on the wood surface and I use most of the surface to make various calls. Yes the calling surface is chalked. I chalk the whole surface.

I hold the call 2 different ways. One is on the ends between my thumb and 2 fingers to make yelps, clucks, purrs, cutting and fight purrs. Another way is to hold the back of the call against my belly with my thumb & middle finger on a corner and my index finger cover the slot in front of the call. That makes nice soft clucks & purrs and what I call a soft or non-aggressive fight purr. In that position I also make what Kenny Morgan calls the quaver call. When the call is against my belly it produces the throaty sound of a purr.

Its a unique sounding call and I almost always have it handy when I set up on a bird. Rainy or wet conditions prevent me from using it...don't want to wreck it.
Savor the dawn

kygobbler
I mostly hunt turkey in: KY
While hunting I carry: Winchester SX3
Willowridge tongue teaser

Post by kygobbler » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:06 am

That's an interesting looking call. I've never seen one before.
Bryan

Return to “Call Makers and Custom Calls”