Had a tough weekend too

turkey teeth, Cut N Run, Dupree, StrutTastic1213
Turkey Teeth
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Gun, Calls and a good seat.

Had a tough weekend too

Post by Turkey Teeth » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:23 am

Hunted my "turkey mecca" Sat and Sun morning. Had to flash hunt both mornings and was back at the truck by 9 to get back for my daughter's bday party and church. I called up a monster on Saturday but somehow he busted me at 80 yards. Still haven't figured that one out. Had another bird hammering up the hill from me, but turned off when the bird that spooked started coming. I also saw 2 other gobblers inside the training compound that I was hunting next 2. Now this is taking place on about 20 acres of the 350 that I can hunt.

So, I go back in to try the monster again. I over think myself and decide to go in an hour before daylight and set up right next to his bedroom. Well, he ends up roosting further in the woods with anther group of hens that take him in the other directions and the bird on the hill, who I cannot get to or call in, is hammering where I had told myself to originally sit that moring. Heard alot of other birds on the other side of the training compound, but I have been challenged by these two.

I plan to go back over in the morning after I talk to the owner to make sure I am not wearing out my welcome. Getting a little frustrated that I haven't laid a bird down with so many on the property. This is my first year hunting the property so I know there is a big learning curve. Also, these birds get quiet very quick. I don't know if it is because the are around people all day or what. By the way, I am about ready to start wearing street clothes to hunt in out there. Seems that these birds spook if they see camo, but you could about walk up to them if you were in a business suit.

Also, think I am overcalling, even though I am calling much less than I do on my Alabama property and have killed birds or had opurtunities over there everytime we go.

Sorry about all the rambling.

StrutTastic1213
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: calls, shotgun, and hopefully a little luck

Re: Had a tough weekend too

Post by StrutTastic1213 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Man it sounds like me and you are having similar kinda luck this year

BgDadyBeardBustr
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Remington 11-87 Super Mag 12 Gauge, PSE Dream Season EVO and my Daughter with her Remington 11-87 20 Gauge. I use a Super Elite III Turkey vest. I also use a Thermo-Cell. A must have for the taking of Bonus Birds!

Post by BgDadyBeardBustr » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:58 pm

Kyle, just keep after them! In two weeks you will be able to go out after church and squeak a fart and they will be coming to you! :lol:

Henned up and not needing no love! Also think about getting a HECS suit! :lol: It will make the magnetic impulses you have when you move any muscle disappear! Even your heart beating causes a magnetic impulse! That is what the TV show said! And they would never put anything on TV that was not true! :lol:
Pass on as much information as you can to the next generation so our support for Turkey Hunting and Conservation will live on for our future Generations!

Team Hollywood Pro Staff

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Post by Grant » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 pm

Its only a matter of days before they lose their head... literally. Good luck in the a.m.
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

Cut N Run
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Post by Cut N Run » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Keep after 'em Kyle. You're still seeing & hearing birds, so they're around. Patience will be rewarded.

DUPREE, it sounds like you have had plenty of action early on, then things dropped off. This warmer weather should get things jumping. Good luck & stay on 'em.

I'm planning on unpacking & repacking my vest tomorrow just to make sure everything's good to go for Saturday's opener. I'm already having trouble sleeping. I have two areas scouted where turkeys are going to die at this year. It will just be a matter of when it happens.

Good luck guys.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

Return to “15 - Gobble THis”