5-11-13 Closing Day Gobbler

turkey teeth, Cut N Run, Dupree, StrutTastic1213
Cut N Run
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

5-11-13 Closing Day Gobbler

Post by Cut N Run » Sat May 11, 2013 12:53 pm

I hunted the ridge behind the horse farm this morning. The gobbler I'd been after went over the ridge headed for the swamp a few times in the past, so today was my chance to get ahead of him. At 5:50 A.M. I heard a gobble above the breeze from a long ways off towards the old home place I knew a gobbler had been roosting at. At 5:55 I heard two shots right quick from that direction and no more gobbling. It took the wind out of my sails fast. I decided that since it was the last day I was going to hunt as much of it as I could. Maybe the shots came from across the road and the wind made it sound closer than it was? A while later, I was thinking about moving and I thought I heard a dog barking, but there aren't any dogs over that way. The breeze was going back & forth from strong to light and I needed a nature break. As I was standing, I heard an unmistakeable gobble from across the ridge near creek past the home place. I cutt back hard with the long box, but got no answer. I waited for the wind to settle and hit it hard again. He answered this time. Game On! At a little before 7 A.M. he was close to the crest of the ridge on the other side, I yelped back with a Teaser Pleaser mouth call and he hammered right back. I let him stew and gobble without answering.

Next, from down towards the swamp, I heard one of the lamest crow calls ever from some fool trying to get that turkey to shock gobble when he was already gobbling on his own. I knew I needed to end this quick before that fool tried to trespass and move on that gobbler. The gobbler got quiet for what seemed like too long a time. The next time he gobbled, he was already 75 yards past me and had crossed behind me, headed towards the swamp. I purred and scratched the leaves beside me. I saw his head come up and his body turn. He gobbled again and I scratched leaves only. Now he started walking back up towards me. He stopped to my left about 50 yards and did periscope up. I purred and scratched again on my far side and he started walking faster toward me. There was a big oak right in front of me and I waited until he passed behind it to get the gun on him. He stepped out and caught a full load of Hevi #6s at 11 yards.

He weighs 19 pounds 15 ounces, has matching 1 & 3/16ths inch spurs, and has a nub of a beard from beard rot. This is the first one I've killed with that condition. I ended up killing one on Opening Day and another on Closing Day...like bookends. I passed on a five different jakes ( always) and had another full fan gobbler standing in front of me at 18 yards gobbling his @$$ off looking for the hen he heard, but he had no beard of any type, not even a nub. The law in NC is that it has to be a bearded gobbler in order to take it. I had several others come close, (including a big bird yesterday morning in Warren County) but heavy cover between us, or my double vision saved their lives.

I think the woman who owns the farm was happier than I was that I got that bird. He is going to be the guest of honor at a barn party in a few weeks. Lookout for the cookout!

I'm having trouble adding pictures & will open a new post.

Jim
Attachments
5-11-13 Closing Day..jpg
Luck Counts, good or bad.

Cut N Run
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Re: 5-11-13 Closing Day Gobbler

Post by Cut N Run » Sat May 11, 2013 12:56 pm

No luck. I have a few days to figure it out. I never had trouble posting pics in the past though...

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

BgDadyBeardBustr
While hunting I carry: Remington 11-87 Super Mag 12 Gauge, PSE Dream Season EVO and my Daughter with her Remington 11-87 20 Gauge. I use a Super Elite III Turkey vest. I also use a Thermo-Cell. A must have for the taking of Bonus Birds!

Post by BgDadyBeardBustr » Sat May 11, 2013 1:45 pm

Congratulations Jim on a successful season Buddy! If I can close the deal this afternoon, we will be on the same page Brother! Just waiting for him to get ready for bed! I am waiting in his bedroom! :D
Pass on as much information as you can to the next generation so our support for Turkey Hunting and Conservation will live on for our future Generations!

Team Hollywood Pro Staff

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Sat May 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Way to go!! I would say he caught a full load!! His head looks a little rough ;)
Colossians 3:17

sman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Post by sman » Sat May 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Congrats Jim!

That a way to stick it out to the end!

sent from my obama phone.
What? What?

Turkey Teeth
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Gun, Calls and a good seat.

Post by Turkey Teeth » Sun May 12, 2013 1:17 pm

Way to go Jim!

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Sun May 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Congrats Jim. Glad you got him before he got boogered by the other hunter.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

Denny

Post by Denny » Sun May 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Way to close it out! Good job - congratulations!

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Post by Grant » Mon May 13, 2013 8:00 pm

Posting for Jim... if you tell me to enter it, I can do so, Jim.
5-11-13 Beard Rot.jpg
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Post by Grant » Mon May 13, 2013 8:01 pm

whoops wrong pic
5-11-13 Date Confirmation..jpg
Grand Slam Network