Caping Your Turkey Q&A

Discussions on articles from www.GrandSlamNetwork.com
Spurhunter

Re: Caping Your Turkey Q&A

Post by Spurhunter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:11 am

Good video. I didn't see a mention of if you removed the preen gland and also the yellow fat between the fan quills. Not an expert on fans by any means but I dried 7 this spring. It may have been overkill but I removed all that (the yellow stuff with knife, small wire brush and surgical tweezers) in an attempt to keep grease from leeching out later. I read on some taxi forums that this could happen and I didn't want to risk it.

I also used a bit of bondo dent filler on the fan quills. Easy to do if needed and provided a firm base to mount since I completely removed the bone (makes the fan flatter for display). If you do just a fan alone and use bondo as described I can add a trick I found to help neatly apply it. I used wax paper. Laid a 12-14" piece under the fan then mixed and applied around a golf ball size portion of bondo with a plastic spoon. I fold the wax paper up over the bondo and press it down into the bare portion of the quills. I immediately flip the fan over, unfold the wax paper on the side now facing me, add another portion of bondo, fold the wax paper back and use it to press the bondo in on this side as well. Sort of a "taco" approach. I did all 7 fans like this by mixing a small batch of bondo for each fan. By the time I got one done the prior one was already cured and I could remove the wax paper as it peeled off easily leaving a smooth surface on each side of the fan.

On my mounts I then just used a drill to screw wood screws through the bondo into the mount at whatever position/angle it needed to be. Sorry if this is a hijack but it seemed relevant to share here.

Bobbyparks
I mostly hunt turkey in: United States
While hunting I carry: Hope & Determination
Shotgun
Small assortment of friction calls
Binoculars
Sometimes a dead turkey

Post by Bobbyparks » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:45 am

Spurhunter wrote:Good video. I didn't see a mention of if you removed the preen gland and also the yellow fat between the fan quills. Not an expert on fans by any means but I dried 7 this spring. It may have been overkill but I removed all that (the yellow stuff with knife, small wire brush and surgical tweezers) in an attempt to keep grease from leeching out later. I read on some taxi forums that this could happen and I didn't want to risk it.

I also used a bit of bondo dent filler on the fan quills. Easy to do if needed and provided a firm base to mount since I completely removed the bone (makes the fan flatter for display). If you do just a fan alone and use bondo as described I can add a trick I found to help neatly apply it. I used wax paper. Laid a 12-14" piece under the fan then mixed and applied around a golf ball size portion of bondo with a plastic spoon. I fold the wax paper up over the bondo and press it down into the bare portion of the quills. I immediately flip the fan over, unfold the wax paper on the side now facing me, add another portion of bondo, fold the wax paper back and use it to press the bondo in on this side as well. Sort of a "taco" approach. I did all 7 fans like this by mixing a small batch of bondo for each fan. By the time I got one done the prior one was already cured and I could remove the wax paper as it peeled off easily leaving a smooth surface on each side of the fan.

On my mounts I then just used a drill to screw wood screws through the bondo into the mount at whatever position/angle it needed to be. Sorry if this is a hijack but it seemed relevant to share here.

Not a hijack at all.

Any good feedback regarding techniques here is good. Your recent photo of fans looks great and gives me some ideas for some of the fans I cut off ealrier on

I don't remove any more than what was described although I don't doubt at all that it might be better to do it and that taxidermist do it .

I've never had any kind of issues going back 15 years and the way I've done it is fast and easy.
Because I usually have a stack to run through I would dread the prospects of doing much beyond what I do and because of that I've never gone further with it.

That said......This is a good thread to share what everyone is doing. I know some remove all tail feathers and bondo them back and I've heard of some using glue gun on the fan.
Brought to you by ACME WACKER

Spurhunter

Post by Spurhunter » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:04 am

Well I'd think that 15 years should be a pretty good test period. :D
I researched a bunch before I did my fans and chose the moderate approach I guess. The NWTF has a pretty good tutorial on fan preparation, I just altered it slightly to suit my needs. I know some guys who do nothing more than lop off the fan and borax it leaving a hunk of meat and the yellow stuff all in there. I got as much of it out as possible and though there was still a good bit of connecting tissue and skin, the bondo provided some support and security in absense of the meat and bone.

How do you clean/dust your capes and mounts? I've been using a swiffer duster, seems to pick up dust well instead of just relocating it.

Bobbyparks
I mostly hunt turkey in: United States
While hunting I carry: Hope & Determination
Shotgun
Small assortment of friction calls
Binoculars
Sometimes a dead turkey

Post by Bobbyparks » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 pm

Spurhunter wrote:Well I'd think that 15 years should be a pretty good test period. :D
I researched a bunch before I did my fans and chose the moderate approach I guess. The NWTF has a pretty good tutorial on fan preparation, I just altered it slightly to suit my needs. I know some guys who do nothing more than lop off the fan and borax it leaving a hunk of meat and the yellow stuff all in there. I got as much of it out as possible and though there was still a good bit of connecting tissue and skin, the bondo provided some support and security in absense of the meat and bone.

How do you clean/dust your capes and mounts? I've been using a swiffer duster, seems to pick up dust well instead of just relocating it.
If anything you're going about it a better way

I use a Swiffer duster as well and used to take a damp wrag and wipe the deer (following the hair direction) to clean them up.....Everythings kind of neglected right now :)
Brought to you by ACME WACKER

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Post by Grant » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:26 pm

Part two is up!

Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

T-Dub
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Mossberg 835

Post by T-Dub » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:21 pm

Fantasitc videos! Thanks for filming these and posting!
Lean toward mercy.

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Post by Grant » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks! Hung 1 of my capes on the wall yesterday. Bobby has my other two. This is an easy and cheap process for sure!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

Cut N Run
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Post by Cut N Run » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for taking the time to make these videos and explain the process. The finished product looks great & I look forward to hanging a few of mine in the future.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

Denny
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Remington 870 SPST 12 guage, my Mossy Oak cushion and a field bag full of goodies.

Post by Denny » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Another great tutorial - thanks!
DJ

Ross
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: Benneli Nova 12 w/ Kicks GT 665 Choke (spray painted camo), russell outdoors super elite vest, David Holleran Crystal Miss and Moyes DBW ceramic pot calls. Lavender Mnt tube call, D-n-D Crow call, Old wore out primos Box call. Nikon Monarch 5 ATB 10x42 Binoculars. couple of mixed-n matched decoys that I use occasionaly.

Post by Ross » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:10 pm

I love the second video too Bobby. 9 birds to do! I get winded on two birds. You never, ever cease to amaze me in your ability to do cool stuff and do it well.:smile:

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Return to “Article Discussions”