870 20 ga cycling issue?

sman
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Slates, strikers, mouth calls, and a thermocell!!!!!!

Re: 870 20 ga cycling issue?

Post by sman » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:50 pm

Don't blame you. I had to send back a Mossberg last yr. It shot way high and to the right. I mean way up there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
What? What?

Ross
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: Benneli Nova 12 w/ Kicks GT 665 Choke (spray painted camo), russell outdoors super elite vest, David Holleran Crystal Miss and Moyes DBW ceramic pot calls. Lavender Mnt tube call, D-n-D Crow call, Old wore out primos Box call. Nikon Monarch 5 ATB 10x42 Binoculars. couple of mixed-n matched decoys that I use occasionaly.

Post by Ross » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:51 pm

I think that these companies are trying to turn out to many guns at once. Quality is being sacrificed.

Sent from my Talky Box .

Cut N Run
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Post by Cut N Run » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 am

In the 60's most firearms manufacturers started using stamped parts rather than machined parts and the quality dropped off. I'd be looking hard at the shells to see if there is any abrasion, dents, or anything that might help indicate where the hang up or obstruction is. I saw one that had burrs on the follower and it wouldn't cycle properly, but that was with every length of round.

Letting Remington fix their problem is the right thing to do. If you had wanted a 20 ga. single shot, you would have bought one.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

Ross
While hunting I carry: Benneli Nova 12 w/ Kicks GT 665 Choke (spray painted camo), russell outdoors super elite vest, David Holleran Crystal Miss and Moyes DBW ceramic pot calls. Lavender Mnt tube call, D-n-D Crow call, Old wore out primos Box call. Nikon Monarch 5 ATB 10x42 Binoculars. couple of mixed-n matched decoys that I use occasionaly.

Post by Ross » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:04 am

Hahaha,Well put Jim. There are burs on the rim of the brass. Definitely grabbing there and leaving the burr.

Sent from my Talky Box .

goblr77
While hunting I carry: A lot

Post by goblr77 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:53 am

mossyoakpro wrote:
Ross wrote:Gun is being sent back to Remington.

Sent from my Talky Box .
Probably a good idea....I must say that I have always been a Remmy fan but their quality has definately slipped a lot in the last few years.

I sure hope they get your problem taken care of for you....keep us posted!!

You're right. The quality of the 870s isn't near what it used to be. The one I cerakoted is an older model with an action as slick as glass. I bought another one this year and the action was a little catchy to start with. I sat in my recliner and cycled it without shells a few hundred times and slicked it up. The finish on the outside of the receiver is bad as well. There are some cast marks on the bottom side that were never sanded off. I'm going to sand them off myself and have the gun dipped in bottomland later.

Ross, I hope you get your issues worked out.
Joshua 24:15

Ross

Post by Ross » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:10 am

Gun has been sent back and hopefully they will redeem their selfs.

Sent from my Talky Box .

Toddmann
While hunting I carry: I don't carry anything!! I have a turkey vest and a sling on my gun!

Post by Toddmann » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:11 pm

While I was in KY this past weekend I stopped to talk to the land owner and one of his friends. He was asking about the kind of guns we use for turkey. Showed him our guns then he pulls out of his truck an old 870 wingmaster in pristine condition :shock: . It looked like it just came right out the box. They don't make'em like that any more.

goblr77
While hunting I carry: A lot

Post by goblr77 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Toddmann wrote:While I was in KY this past weekend I stopped to talk to the land owner and one of his friends. He was asking about the kind of guns we use for turkey. Showed him our guns then he pulls out of his truck an old 870 wingmaster in pristine condition :shock: . It looked like it just came right out the box. They don't make'em like that any more.

Those guns were great. That's the first dove gun given to me when I was a child. Learned how to wingshoot with it. Killed my first deer with 00 buck out of it. 26" improved barrel!
Joshua 24:15

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:09 pm

I have an original 870 Wingmaster in 16 gauge that I got for Christmas when I was a youngun...I still shoot in the dove field occasionally if I can find shells for it.

I just bought an original 1100 LT20 with a fixed modified choke that is in like new condition....I am in the market for an IC barrel if someone runs across one of them.

They just don't make them like they used too....it is kinda like cars I suppose, they want them to last a limited amount of time so you will buy another one to replace it down the road.
Colossians 3:17

Pauld
While hunting I carry: Rem 870 20 gauge, TSS, Thermo-cell, coffee, T.P, raw whit and sarcasm

Post by Pauld » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:31 pm

Ross wrote:I think that these companies are trying to turn out to many guns at once. Quality is being sacrificed.

Sent from my Talky Box .

Yep, I can tell you that when production goes into over drive that quality contol is typically the first short cut that gets taken. I noticed my new 870 isn't as smooth as the one I had as a kid. Shame too.
Head down, ears open, mouth closed. Kill turkeys.

Return to “20 Gauge Shotguns”