My newest-oldest gun for the 2015 season

Toddmann
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: I don't carry anything!! I have a turkey vest and a sling on my gun!

My newest-oldest gun for the 2015 season

Post by Toddmann » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:49 pm

Just picked up a 1957 JC Higgins model 103.370 20ga with double triggers (basically a Marlin model 90 made under the name JC Higgins sold by Sears and Roebuck). I have been looking for a nice O/U 20 ga that would not break the bank, yet be a quality AMERICAN MADE gun and this is the model I settled on. This gun has hardly been shot and looks basically new. This gun is surprisingly very light weight. I had just assumed that a 50's model O/U would be heavy. Glad I was wrong about that. The guy I bought it from said it is a collectors gun. I assured him it would remain a collectors gun (a collector of longbeards :lol: ). My plan is to make one of the barrels a 40-50 yd shot barrel in which I will use Federal HVYWT loads or TSS. In the other barrel I will use conventional lead loads for those close <30yd shots, which make up over 50% of my normal shots. Hopefully his will decrease my ammo bill 8-) . Anybody else working on a new set up for next spring?
Attachments
20141006_222031-1.jpg

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Re: My newest-oldest gun for the 2015 season

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Just finished my set up for next spring. Mike got it all assembled and deep cleaned the barrel. All I have left to do is sight that joker in which will happen this weekend.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

Ross
I mostly hunt turkey in: georgia
While hunting I carry: Benneli Nova 12 w/ Kicks GT 665 Choke (spray painted camo), russell outdoors super elite vest, David Holleran Crystal Miss and Moyes DBW ceramic pot calls. Lavender Mnt tube call, D-n-D Crow call, Old wore out primos Box call. Nikon Monarch 5 ATB 10x42 Binoculars. couple of mixed-n matched decoys that I use occasionaly.

Re: My newest-oldest gun for the 2015 season

Post by Ross » Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:00 am

Very Cool Gun!!! I have a couple of old shot guns but I'm scared to shoot mod loads in em. I have heard that they were made for black powder shells and can't take that kind of pressure. Oh well haha. I love the idea of hunting with vintage stuff.

Sent From My Talky Box

Return to “20 Gauge Shotguns”