Blind or no Blind

Grant
I mostly hunt turkey in: GA
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Blind or no Blind

Post by Grant » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:54 am

I've got an area I'd like to try to bow hunt this year. (let the bowtech do some work)

For anyone else killing turkeys bowdown style, are you using a blind? I'd like to avoid hunting in the blind if possible...
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

MidTNHunter
I mostly hunt turkey in: Tennessee
While hunting I carry: Hidden by Mossy Oak everything else is classified intel.

Re: Blind or no Blind

Post by MidTNHunter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:24 am

I have hunted them both ways...without a blind choose setup wisely and be prepared to draw when they are turned...

I had four toms come into my setup and I was hidden behind a small group of trees. When I caught them all three with their backs to me looking or that en they had been hearing... After drawing I leaned out and let the arrow find its spot! What a rush!

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:40 am

i like both....a blind will definitely give you more freedom to draw without getting busted, but being in the woods edge is a complete rush like midtnhunter mentioned.
remember when you are setting up your blind, unlike deer hunting, you can put that blind anywhere and it will not spook the bird. no brushing in needed.....you can put it dead-center of a field or foodplot and they do not care.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

spurshooternc
I mostly hunt turkey in: All the States.....
While hunting I carry: I mostly hunt with a stick and string... I love the challenge of hunting with a bow. I do carry a gun now and then depending on the game I am hunting or the terrain I am hunting. I hunt several states with my bow and love to go after turkeys, deer, hogs with it.

Post by spurshooternc » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:34 am

I am going after them with the old stick and string myself this year for the first time.. I plan on using blinds myself and some nice decoy spreads to bring them in close.... I will keep ya posted on how it goes...
HAVE BOW WILL TRAVEL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mossy Oak Pro Staff Team Member

MidTNHunter
I mostly hunt turkey in: Tennessee
While hunting I carry: Hidden by Mossy Oak everything else is classified intel.

Post by MidTNHunter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Good Luck!

I hope to get an Osceola with my bow this spring.

GAbird
I mostly hunt turkey in: Georgia
While hunting I carry: Anything that I can manage to stuff or fit in my turkey vest...seriously anything!

Post by GAbird » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Grant,

My brother has a friend who only bow hunts birds and never uses a blind. His "go to" set-up is have a full strut decoy facing in his direction at around 20 yds. In a nut shell he banks on the bird working his set-up and getting full strut on the deke then drawing back as the long beard is challenging the deke. I'm sure this is one of those way easier said than done scenarios, but he swears by it.

In my short turkey hunting career I have had birds love the full strut deke and some flat hang-up/get scared by a full strut deke. Guess that's the gamble you would have to make if trying this tactic.

Grant
While hunting I carry: Sometimes... way too much stuff

Post by Grant » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:22 pm

GAbird wrote:Grant,

My brother has a friend who only bow hunts birds and never uses a blind. His "go to" set-up is have a full strut decoy facing in his direction at around 20 yds. In a nut shell he banks on the bird working his set-up and getting full strut on the deke then drawing back as the long beard is challenging the deke. I'm sure this is one of those way easier said than done scenarios, but he swears by it.

In my short turkey hunting career I have had birds love the full strut deke and some flat hang-up/get scared by a full strut deke. Guess that's the gamble you would have to make if trying this tactic.
I'll add a strutter deke to my gear this year... All I have now is hen dekes.
Grand Slam Network
Facebook
Twitter

J Gilbert
While hunting I carry: 870 Youth 20ga, Limbhanger vest with Halloran pots and Tom Teasers diaphragms and Beard Hunter box calls

Post by J Gilbert » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:02 pm

I'm gonna give it a try myself this spring, didn't get to break the Obsession in during deer season so I'm hoping first blood will be a big thunderchicken
Team NO COMPETITION

mossyoakpro
I mostly hunt turkey in: Mossy Oak camo
While hunting I carry: GaSwamp for good luck :-)

Post by mossyoakpro » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:37 pm

MidTNHunter wrote:Good Luck!

I hope to get an Osceola with my bow this spring.
Gonna try that myself MDH!! I finally have some private land to hunt down there so I will give it a try!!

Good luck and may your arrow fly true!!
Colossians 3:17

Kevin Farr
I mostly hunt turkey in: anywhere with turkeys
While hunting I carry: An assortment of Pecker Wrecker Calls pot calls and mouth calls; Moss 835 or Bowtech Captain; Canon XHA1 HD video camera and accessories; occasionally a Scott Basehore or Irving Whitt box call if out West; old K&H owl hooter; handmade crow call; thermacell; waterproof snakeboots; occasionally DSD decoys; and occasionally if I get lucky ...... a turkey or two on the way out :)

Post by Kevin Farr » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:32 pm

MidTNHunter wrote:I have hunted them both ways...without a blind choose setup wisely and be prepared to draw when they are turned...

I had four toms come into my setup and I was hidden behind a small group of trees. When I caught them all three with their backs to me looking or that en they had been hearing... After drawing I leaned out and let the arrow find its spot! What a rush!

yep
I like hunting turkeys, but I LOVE killing turkeys.

Return to “Bowhunting Turkeys”