Are You Ready?

Cut N Run
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Re: Are You Ready 2014?

Post by Cut N Run » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:29 am

I went through my vest yesterday to take inventory, restock the ThermaCell, and make sure there's plenty of T.P.. There's plenty of time to get all that done before the season starts, though it was a good way to spend nervous energy.
Luck Counts, good or bad.

datrip
While hunting I carry: Calls, gun, shells, thermacell, tp...all I need.

Re: Are You Ready?

Post by datrip » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:51 am

That is me also Jim. I checked over everything Friday evening. Seems like all my calls and other equipment are as I left them when I put the vest in the closet last May. I did take note though that I am low on the butane cartridges for my Thermacell. That is a priority to have come April 12. I know I will check again and probably again before then to do just as you suggest, to ease the anxiety of the "longest month of the year"(March).

I have some Hevi-shot ordered that should be here any day that I will have to pattern before then. In my neck of the woods here in the foothills the birds are still flocked up pretty bad. I went Friday morning to find another access point to an area on some public where I heard and was on birds three separate times last year. I was successful, but boy it is still a long way back in there. But it is a necessity to hunt them that is for sure.
I hope you have much success and are able to tag out.

Daryl
Whatever is over my head is under HIS feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2006.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Twitter - daryltriplett

Cut N Run
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Post by Cut N Run » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:07 pm

I used to hike to the farthest area on the piece of land I hunted and it made a big difference on how many and how calm the turkeys were versus the birds using land closer to the road. Most people wouldn't go to the trouble of covering so much ground to get to a place to hunt, but most people didn't get a crack at the gobblers I had my choice of. Those kinds of places aren't easy to come across on public land. I'm looking forward to seeing your picture here with a big ol' Longbeard.

Have you used that Hevi shot before? At first, I was hesitant to shoot it because of the cost, but after seeing how much more dense the patterns were compared to lead and the way it totally bowled over every gobbler I ever shot with it, I'm a steady customer. I stockpiled enough Hevi 6s & 7s to last for the next two decades of turkey seasons, or in case they get the bright idea to change it...(I suppose engineers need steady employment to keep 'em off the streets).

Best luck to you as well Daryl. I hope you find a honey hole to hunt with plenty of bonus gobblers. Last week, I lucked into a couple of sweet pieces of land to hunt in Caswell County that should be as good as any place I've ever hunted. Caswell has one of the highest turkey populations in the state, with one of the lowest human populations for the piedmont. I had tomorrow off and hoped to scout it out, but this ice storm is messing with us again.

Jim

datrip

Post by datrip » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:14 pm

No Jim I do not have any experience shooting the Hevi. After reading reviews from those who have made the switch not just on GSN but other sites I had to check it out. I have the 2oz #6 coming so I will see. Three years ago I lost a bird that I rolled shooting lead. After rolling him he gets up and runs off....leaving no sign whatsoever. I underestimated the distance by 5 yds. Thought it was 40 yds. and it turned out to be 44. Man I was upset. I should have made the switch sooner but just haven't. If I had known it was 44 for sure I would not have taken the shot. I had had good patterns out to 40, but not 44-45....ugggh.
I know that a lot depends on the gun & choke, but have you found that the pattern is "too tight" 20 yds. and under? That has been my biggest concern in switching is those really close shots and the pattern being too tight.
I will mostly be hunting in Caldwell County, a few trips to Wilkes, and possibly Ash or Alleghany. Alleghany is the county I killed my bird last year but am unable to hunt that property this year(moved cows onto the land). Lots of birds in Ash & Alleghany though. So we'll see.
My wife's first cousin lives outside of Nashville, TN. He is a good friend. He is trying to find some private for me to hunt prior to our season comes in here. Again, we'll see.
Sure hard to read all those AL, GA, and FL boys commenting on their hunts and you and I have to wait much longer. Yeah, I am jealous. :)
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Twitter - daryltriplett

Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:13 pm

Daryl,
I hope you are as impressed by that Hevi shot as I am. It almost isn't fair. I've killed 5 gobblers with the Hevi 6s or 7s so far and it absolutely busts 'em like clay pigeons. If he's in good range, he's going down...game over.

My primary turkey gun throws a killer pattern of Hevi 6s or 7s at 40 and would have no trouble killing turkeys beyond that distance, though I haven't had to shoot one that far yet. I've killed way more inside of 25 yards than outside of it. Last year was my first time hunting near agricultural fields and I was still able to call birds up inside of 30 yards. We set up on a fork in a logging road with a good view of the field. We were in tight cover near where it transitioned to a big opening and the turkeys could see a long way in the field. They couldn't see far in the woods though. They could look down the road to the fork, but not much beyond it until they came down the road and got in range of us...neither bird ever saw us.

I killed my second gobbler on the last day of the season last year at the smaller horse farm. He came from a long ways off and crossed behind me, headed towards the swamp, but I was able to coax him to come back uphill with some purrs, clucks, and scratching the leaves. I thought he was going to jump up on the log I was set up behind, but he walked around the branch end of it. I got the gun up when he passed behind a big oak and busted him at 11 yards when he stepped out in the clear. A skeet load of #8s could have done him in. My Speed Bead was full of turkey head when I squeezed the trigger.

I will hunt the small horse farms in Durham & Orange County again this year. Last week, I got rights to hunt two farms in Caswell County off the Dan River, which ought to be great. I'll also hunt some public land in Franklin and Nash Counties, plus a tree farm in Vance County with my best friend. Somewhere along the way a good gobbler or two will probably end up getting too close. I have a handicapped friend I'll probably go call for at some time during the season.

I'm itching to go too. I need to start adjusting my sleep patterns soon, so I'll be ready when the season rolls around. Good luck to you and let me know what you think of that Hevi shot.

Jim

Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:28 pm

I went to the small horse farm this morning to listen for gobbles. Nothing. Since I finally finished cleaning up the downed trees at my place, I needed to see how bad the small farm was. All of the trails had limbs and trees across them from last week's ice storm. It was a huge mess and is gonna take a while to clean up. One of the farm hands just got the last of the downed fences back up. I reopened about a half mile of trails and did a little scouting before the rains started. The small hay field has at least 30 big trees down across it that need to be gone before the first time to cut hay comes around. I did check out two of my favorite places to turkey hunt there and they weren't in bad shape. I found some fresh scratching and a few feathers.

I'm scared to even look at the trails on the big farm. I probably won't even get started over there until after turkey season.

Jim

datrip

Post by datrip » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 am

Yikes Jim....sounds like you need an army of chainsaw toting foot soldiers to come help with cleanup. Sounds like a real mess. We received minimal ice from that last storm so there was really no impact on trees as far a limbs/trees coming down.

I went and listened Saturday morning and heard one on the roost and once on the ground not a peep. I went to the other side of the property and looked around and then drove back over to my original listening post. As I am approaching that spot I come around a curve and see 5 at the edge of the woods and they started booking it down the dirt road before I could get a good look. I sped up and looked down the road and could see 2 swinging beards on 2 of the 5, the other 3 were jakes. Sure was great hearing those gobbles at daybreak. I really believe I could have worked those birds had the season started. Hopefully they will stay in that same general area for the coming weeks and not migrate too far. I am so ready to hunt.

Daryl
Twitter - daryltriplett

Cut N Run

Post by Cut N Run » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:43 am

We got too much extra work from those storms. I'm glad winter is about done. Much of the cutting will have to wait until after turkey season is done.

Glad to hear you're on some good gobblers. I heard one gobble way across the creek near the swamp yesterday. He shut up about the time he got on the ground. I saw a truck parked on the other side of the swamp, and I hope that guy didn't hear the gobbler, though its hard to imagine he didn't. Hearing & killing is two different things though.

Jim

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:16 pm

You are exactly right Jim. Good luck brother.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

STEROIDCHICKEN
I mostly hunt turkey in: GEORGIA
While hunting I carry: MY MOSSY OAK WRAPPED CAMERA AND TRIPOD, GUN OR BOW, VEST....AND HOPEFULLY, SOME LUCK.

Post by STEROIDCHICKEN » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:18 pm

You are exactly right Jim. Good luck brother.
Ronnie Smith's Outdoor Adventures Prostaff/Cameraman

Return to “North Carolina”