How Did It Go?

datrip
I mostly hunt turkey in: North Carolina
While hunting I carry: Calls, gun, shells, thermacell, tp...all I need.

How Did It Go?

Post by datrip » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:07 pm

Wanted to check and hear reports from my Tarheel friends? When I got to the lease of a friend the wind was really puffing already. Headed out and got set up on my traditional honey hole. Soft yelped...nothing. Hooted...nothing. Wait. Crow called....nothing. More soft tree yelps....nothing. Wait. Hooted....hooted back at. Wait. Fly down cackle with wing flapping....nothing. Cut and yelped...nothing responding. Ugggh!!!

Got up and proceeded to run and gun for the next four hours and to battle an ever increasing wind. Went to known strut zones...nothing.

Disappointed to say the least, but thankful that today was just opening day. More hunts to come.
So how did it go for you guys?

Daryl
Whatever is over my head is under HIS feet.
Member of the Tenth Legion since 2006.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived" Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Twitter - daryltriplett

Cut N Run
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Re: How Did It Go?

Post by Cut N Run » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:14 pm

I got a decent gobbler on opening day at 7:50 AM with a 23 yard shot from the field I videoed. He came in spitting & drumming following a hen who must have been looking for the hen she heard. I only heard 3 gobbles from the roost that morning, but it was right on the heels of a strong cold front.

I also called one in for my best friend from that same area a few days later. His bird was a double bearded 2 year old. He shot it at 25 yards. As bad as last year was for me, this year is starting off real good. I'm hunting again in the morning from a place I've never hunted before. It is a fairly new logging deck that butts up against some of the heaviest woods on the property with loads of sign on the deck. There's a draw that runs all the way to the river on the opposite side of the logging deck where I'll be hunting too. Turkeys are going to die there, maybe not tomorrow, but maybe so.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

Fan Club
I mostly hunt turkey in: Michigan
While hunting I carry: Realtree Camo, QB Boat Paddle, K&H Pocket Puppy, Cane Creek Dead End diaphragm.
Avian X hen decoys. Thermacell.

Post by Fan Club » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:26 am

Way to go Jim!

Looks like you are making up for the last couple bummer seasons.

JB
"The joy of living is his, for he who has the heart to demand it."
Teddy Roosevelt

hawglips
I mostly hunt turkey in: NC, VA
While hunting I carry: Ghost cut triple reed, Hustlin Hen, 28 gauge CZ or Franchi, 4 shells with 1-15/16 oz of T9s, cane yelper, long box, glass, slate, 6 strikers, 6 more mouth calls, H2O, snacks, TP, GPS, camo, and lot of enthusiasm

Post by hawglips » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:07 pm

We set another harvest record in 2013. Up over 18,000 birds.

rctaylor
I mostly hunt turkey in: nc
While hunting I carry: Remington 870 ssx choke, and to many calls

Post by rctaylor » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:03 am

opening morning i had 4 toms come in from across a river. took about 45 min to talk them in . what a fuss they made all gobbling at the same time . I knew it was at least 2 birds but did not expect 4. took one left three. the other 3 birds hung around for about 10 mins. what a site.

Cut N Run
While hunting I carry: Benelli SBE II, Burris Speed Bead, SumToy .650, and a lighter zipped up in a vest pocket

Post by Cut N Run » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:17 pm

Sounds like a great hunt rctaylor. Congratulations & good luck the rest of the way.

I've managed to get out a few times so far this year. Opening day I had the boss returning courtesy gobbles, he has way too much practice to fall for a hen he doesn't see. He left out the draw going towards thicker cover.

Only got wet & cold on Saturday. No gobbles.

Heard three gobblers this morning, though none were close or carried on for long. They appear to be busy with flocked up hens and jennys. My best friend tagged a nice 2 year old with a 33 yard shot. It came in behind a gang of hens that walked right to his new Avian-X decoys. I saw nothing. I guess that means I'll see twice as much next time...wait a second, two time zero is still zero. Scratch that then. Maybe it'll be my turn to shoot next trip. I hope to get more week days to hunt.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad.

Return to “North Carolina”