**2008** Georgia – Oconee WMA – Check

Gobble157
I mostly hunt turkey in: All over the US
While hunting I carry: Gun, vest, GPS, and Gods love!

**2008** Georgia – Oconee WMA – Check

Post by Gobble157 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Georgia – Complete!

One of my best friends and I hunted the general hunt to Oconee WMA during the 2008 turkey season. I have hunted this wma for years with my good buddy Randy Rose. Since I lived in Ohio at the time I had my friend Nick scout the area and listen for gobbles. Nick heard a few different longbeards on the wma prior to the general public hunt. I drove down a few days before season and got prepared for our hunt at Oconee WMA. Nick and I met and we took off down I-20 towards the Greensboro exit. We had breakfast in Greensboro and made our way into the forest. I dropped Nick off at his hunting spot then drove another mile and parked my truck. I got out and took off down this big trail. As I approached the trail head I heard a gobble. I moved in the gobblers direction and found a nice oak to set up against. It appeared they did a control burn earlier in the year. It was absolutely open and some new undergrowth was popping up. The trail dropped down into a beautiful green bottom. I assumed the longbeard was in that bottom since his gobble wasn’t that far off. I waited for him to gobble a few more times before I began my calling sequence. Ten minutes had passed and I did a fly down cackle. He immediately responded and seemed like he was committed to my calling. Twenty minutes passed and he seemed to be in the same exact spot. From here I decided I’d move to my left and away from him. When I moved I called all the way to my new setup. This really got the longbeard fired up. I sat next to a big pine and he was closing the distance towards my new location. I’d say 10 minutes passed before he was sitting in my lap :D I let the Browning Gold finish him off and I was done for the day in Georgia. I stayed one more day before heading to North Carolina for a turkey hunt. I had a great time with my bud and we did find success on one of Georgia’s finest wma in the Piedmont region.
Attachments
Oconee.jpg
Oconee.jpg (157.67 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Lifelong obsessed turkey hunter just living my life for The Lord Jesus Christ :)

Proverbs 3: 5-8

Return to “US Slam Progress Report”